Here's What I Do:
I give my clients good and ugly information about applying to college - proven facts mixed with what colleges don't tell you. My strategies work around the ugly stuff and make getting into college a lot easier. It's "no fluff" college help. Start with these 3 reality checks:
#1: The University of Massachusetts at Amherst - a state college - received over 32,000 applications for 4,600 slots. Most colleges see demand as far greater than the supply. Ugly. Getting into college is not about a great GPA and great test scores any more. Ugly.
#2: More than 80% of all guidance counselors and teachers don't have the time to help your child get into college. Ugly.
#3: Your student has to stand out in a crowd of applicants. Period. How do I make that happen? Positioning. Life is all about positioning - how you come across to people determines what you get. No positioning? No get. Ugly.
Here are the advantages your child receives by working with me, which are not found in combination with any other college advisor in the country (I am now positioning myself with you):
1. Foundation: Each of my students takes an extensive personality assessment that helps determine which careers match the student’s personality and, by extension, helps me and the student determine the student’s approximate college major. It’s not an exact career we’re looking for, such as “early childhood education,” but a career direction that makes sense, such as “education.” As a result, nearly 20% of my students finish college in 3.5 years (Over 60% of college students graduate in 5 or 6 years to get a Bachelor's degree. Ugly.)
2. Branding/Positioning: I design a marketing campaign with an ethical approach that presents - positions - the student honestly and in a manner that makes the student very attractive to the colleges. For example, some years ago a contractor paid me to increase his business. I made a simple recommendation that he keep his truck washed at all times.
Within six months he saw a 22% increase in his business without doing any additional marketing (a clean truck is a marketing tactic). New customers thought he looked "more professional" than other contractors who drive dirty trucks. It was an honest and ethical recommendation on my part, the kind I use for my students.
3. Author: Having written 2 books and produced over 100 videos, I can guide the student on how to write a winning college application essay. I’ve corrected nearly 1,000 essays over the past 12 years, and I know exactly what the colleges want. More than 80% of college essays are “average” (ugly); my students are in the 20% group of “above average” essays.
4. College Reverse Interview: I created a proprietary and copyrighted approach that makes it a lot easier for your student to get into the right-fit college. The truly average student comes across - positioned - as the ideal applicant. Over the years the results have proven so positive that clients have told me they would have paid my fee just to get their hands on this approach.
5. My Availability: Once the student and I begin our relationship, I am available seven days a week for any assistance - by Skype, phone, text, or email. I do not work on an hourly rate.
6. I am the nation’s only college advisor with expertise in the subject of leadership, the #1 characteristic that admission people dream about in an applicant (See my book on leadership). I will show your student how to convince the admissions reader s/he is already a leader, even if there’s no evidence of leadership on your student’s high school resume, or evidence of any extracurricular activities. See Item #2 above.
7. Fifty-two weeks of videos (over 100) are sent to you twice a week to give you good and ugly stuff to use. It's college help on video.
It's all about positioning. Put another way, it's all about marketing, which is what I've been doing all my life.
NOTE: The parent cannot hire me. That's the decision of the student. To find out why, click here.
Video: How to write the college application essay, with Alan Gelb